[Wikipedia-l] Re: Sanger's memoirs

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Apr 20 04:32:47 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>Perhaps you didn't see Jimbo's message. The things Larry says
>critically about Wikipedia aren't "attacks". They aren't intended
>maliciously.

If he really intends his suggestions as constructive suggestions, rather
than self-aggrandizement and media-whoring, why hasn't he participated
in the many discussions of Wikipedia policy?  There were in fact
discussions of how to integrate review systems into Wikipedia which he
did not participate in.  The only comments I've heard from him are
John-Katz-style essays published on other sites.

Perhaps his time is too valuable to bother actually participating in the
project, in which case he's welcome to do something else.  But if he's
serious about improving the project, his views are likely to be better
received if he actually participates in the policy discussions, and
ideally actually edits the encyclopedia and generally participates as an
active member of the project.

If, on the other hand, he's not going to be a member of the project, but
wants to tell those who are how they should run it, well then he
shouldn't be surprised if the reception is less than welcoming.

-Mark