[Wikipedia-l] Re: html emails

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:21:23 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell a écrit:
> > HTML mails would make me unsub, perhaps that wouldn't be universally bad. :)
> I did not understand what unsub means.

Unsubscribe. I would turn off my list membership. I do not wish to
received HTML mail, .. Most html mail is spam, and most html mail is
dropped by my aggressive spamfilters. If this list went HTML, I wold
miss many messages, so I might as well unsubscribe.

I would probably not be alone.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUA

> > Hmm.. Inline images might have been useful in our discussions about
> > sexual images on wikipedia, I suppose... :)
>
> I can't figure what you mean.

HTML allows you to put pictures inside emails, not just links.  It can
be abused to show you images that you don't like.   I would have found
it amusing to abuse that feature when we were discussing blocking
images, although I would not have actually done it.  Other people
might, and it is a reason you should not want html mail.

> If I may dare say... this mailing list is international. It would be
> helpful if people made an effort so as to be understandable to more people.
>
> It is a general comment, not limited to you only. Maybe I am a bit
> stupid these days.

I find this amusing:  I used "MUA" in an effort to be clear since I
knew the acronym was the same in all languages.

HTML email can exclude people in much the same way that using obscure
English words can confuse non-native readers, except it is far easier
and less harmful to avoid HTML than it is to avoid English that is
difficult for nonnative readers of english.