[Wikipedia-l] Re: html emails

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 01:01:15 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson a écrit:
> I use Windows almost always, use M$ Office, and actually don't even
> have Linux installed on my system.
>
> I am by no measure a "Linux geek", and whatever geek I have in me is
> certainly not the type that effects my preferences on these sort of
> things, though I will admit that I tend to prefer notepad to wysiwyg
> editors for html.
>
> I don't know any programming languages save what QBasic I learned from
> my grandpa when I was 4 or 5, and HTML if that can be considered a
> programming language.
>
> Yet I still prefer plain text e-mails to HTML e-mails for most of the
> reasons that have already been stated.
>
> Anthere said that subscription is not mandatory, and that if you don't
> want an e-mail you don't want to subscribe.
>
> What about the people who DO want an e-mail, just not in HTML? Are we
> going to exclude them just because we have such high standards?

We will not exclude them. Anyone can also see the quarto out on most
project main pages and it is announced as well in mailing list.

What we are currently trying to do is to set up an additional system to
announce it.

> Does anybody even realise that HTML e-mails display very differently
> in different clients?
>
> Or that many people have turned support for HTML e-mails off because
> of 1-pixel images as described above and other malicious uses of HTML?
>
> Why not offer an option?

Are you ready to take care of the development on that topic ?

> Or even better, why not send people a plain-text e-mail with a LINK to
> an actual website with the newsletter?

Because we can not send A link. Depending on the language people talk,
they will choose amongst for example 15 different links.

> And I'm sorry, but "quarto" just sounds to me like an aborted attempt
> at a cartoon villain. When I say it it sounds like "court-o" or
> "cord-o". And really, I don't think it sounds nice. Why not just
> "quarterly report" like the rest of the world does?
>
> Mark

Because Wikipedia is not doing things like the rest of the world does.

ant