[Wikipedia-l] html emails

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:37:29 UTC 2005

I use Windows almost always, use M$ Office, and actually don't even
have Linux installed on my system.

I am by no measure a "Linux geek", and whatever geek I have in me is
certainly not the type that effects my preferences on these sort of
things, though I will admit that I tend to prefer notepad to wysiwyg
editors for html.

I don't know any programming languages save what QBasic I learned from
my grandpa when I was 4 or 5, and HTML if that can be considered a
programming language.

Yet I still prefer plain text e-mails to HTML e-mails for most of the
reasons that have already been stated.

Anthere said that subscription is not mandatory, and that if you don't
want an e-mail you don't want to subscribe.

What about the people who DO want an e-mail, just not in HTML? Are we
going to exclude them just because we have such high standards?

Does anybody even realise that HTML e-mails display very differently
in different clients?

Or that many people have turned support for HTML e-mails off because
of 1-pixel images as described above and other malicious uses of HTML?

Why not offer an option?

Or even better, why not send people a plain-text e-mail with a LINK to
an actual website with the newsletter?

And I'm sorry, but "quarto" just sounds to me like an aborted attempt
at a cartoon villain. When I say it it sounds like "court-o" or
"cord-o". And really, I don't think it sounds nice. Why not just
"quarterly report" like the rest of the world does?

Mark

On 18/04/05, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
> >Gerard Meijssen said:
> >

> >>It is nice that text has a high geek factor, HTML is for these purposes
> >> superior.
> >>

> >Come again?  What's geeky about sending information in a form that
> >*doesn't* need a complex parser to unmangle
> >
> Hoi,
> It is considered to be geeky to have a commond line, it to be bare
> bones. Quarto is about presenting us in the best possible way. Plain
> text just does not cut it. Horses for courses and, presentation is king.
> We do need a nice presentation and it coming from us, it will not have
> micro dots. This is the stuff that we send to people who contribute
> money to inform them how well we do, therefore it needs the glossy look.
> It is not just for us who already know how we are doing/what we are doing.
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE