[Wikipedia-l] Re: Encarta goes wiki - sort of...

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Apr 14 15:56:50 UTC 2005

Faraaz Damji wrote:
> If you think that there are serious
> problems with Wikipedia, there's nothing stopping you from starting
> another wiki encyclopedia with Wikipedia's content since everything is
> GFDL'd.

I keep seeing this argument, and I keep wondering how many of the people
who say this actually believe what they are saying. OF COURSE there is
something stopping you from starting another Wiki encyclopedia. Firstly,
running such a project requires resources far in excess of what any
average person can provide. Secondly, Wikipedia has the community
lock-in factor (people feel "at home" and don't like to switch).
Thirdly, there's the social risk of being ridiculed for attempting
something that, in the eyes of many, Wikipedia has already achieved.

Greetings,
Timwi