[Wikipedia-l] Re: Minutemen (vigilantes) article

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 03:28:44 UTC 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 10:02 PM, Robert Brockway <rbrockway at opentrend.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Robert Brockway wrote:
>
> > I think the term "Minutemen (vigilantes)" is POV as the term vigilantes
> > has negative overtones in English.  I think it would be better to list the
> > article under the title "The MinuteMan Project".
> >
> Excuse me following up to myself.
>
> dictionary.com gives the following definitions for vigilante:
>
> 1. One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own
>    hands.
>
> 2. A member of a vigilance committee.
>
> I don't see how the MinuteMan Project members could qualify as vigilantes
> since all they are doing, as directed by the group, is to observe and
> advise legitimate authorities.  In this regard the group is acting in a
> manner similar to a Neighbourhood Watch.
>
> This is not to say that individuals in the group could not act as
> vigilantes but I don't see any evidence the group is advocating this.
>
> Thoughts, comments, flames, rebuttal?
>
> Rob

I suppose if we allow definition 2 above, then members of a
Neighborhood Watch group would be vigilantes. However, I've never
heard the word used that way. Of course, that's just me, and maybe
others have heard the other usage. Still, I think the name change is
in order. Make sure we disambiguate Minutemen as appropriate.

-- Rich Holton

en.wikipedia:User:Rholton