[Wikipedia-l] Re: Minutemen (vigilantes) article

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Mon Apr 4 03:02:33 UTC 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Robert Brockway wrote:

> I think the term "Minutemen (vigilantes)" is POV as the term vigilantes
> has negative overtones in English.  I think it would be better to list the
> article under the title "The MinuteMan Project".

Excuse me following up to myself.

dictionary.com gives the following definitions for vigilante:

1. One who takes or advocates the taking of law enforcement into one's own
   hands.

2. A member of a vigilance committee.

I don't see how the MinuteMan Project members could qualify as vigilantes
since all they are doing, as directed by the group, is to observe and
advise legitimate authorities.  In this regard the group is acting in a
manner similar to a Neighbourhood Watch.

This is not to say that individuals in the group could not act as
vigilantes but I don't see any evidence the group is advocating this.

Thoughts, comments, flames, rebuttal?

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.