[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikipedia in China

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Sep 24 08:17:00 UTC 2004

Anthere-
> But as you perfectly well say, a lot of the argument was whether they
> should be inline OR linked. And it did appear agreeable to a *sizeable*
> part of the community that the image should be censored INLINE, but
> could appear as external links.

> Now... I ask the question. Why would it be shocking to provide a
> """short""" article on this board issue (the closing of the board in
> China) and invite the reader to have further information by following
> external links ?

> Especially if these links lead to the english wikipedia for example ?

> There is no difference with a LINKED clitoris, since people can still
> access the information.

You're absolutely correct, there is no difference. That's why I objected
so strongly to the "let's link offensive materials" argument when it came
up. Any such choice we make is inherently POV. Only if we provide image
and text metadata and let the reader decide what they want to see we are
in the realm of NPOV, but only if we view or hide everything by default.

Regards,

Erik