[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia in China

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Sep 23 21:39:25 UTC 2004

Christopher Mahan wrote:

>--- Stan Shebs <shebs at apple.com> wrote:
>

>>And ditto for the Tiananmen square articles, since only a couple
>>thousand
>>people died, after all - hardly any at all, percentagewise!
>>

>No, not ditto for the Tiananmen stuff. Yes it's horrible, but did you
>know that a 1850 rebellion cause 50 million deaths in China? Where's
>that article?
>
>Look at the whole filtering of internet content in america's school
>and libraries. It's been raging now for a while, with no end in
>sight. But nobody gets killed. Let's keep things in perspective.

Now I have no idea what you're trying to argue. In a wiki you're
not going to get very far trying to order people to write on
subject A before they write on subject B, and if your purpose is
to appease governments, for many editors that's all the excuse
they need to write in even more depth on the subjects you're
wanting to avoid.

If persons in the PRC want to risk real-world punishment by
reading or writing disapproved material, that's a judgement they
have to make for themselves; there's nobody on the outside
qualified to make that choice for them.

Stan