[Wikipedia-l] toki pona

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 22 11:47:17 UTC 2004

Mark Williamson wrote:

>As I said before, while the law may be debated I added the notices
>because of a suspected copyvio. IANAL...

I am not a great supporter of Toki Pona, but acting on mere suspicion
like that is no way to operate, such actions are more characteristic of
copyright paranoia..  There are enough people in Wikipedia who oppose
Toki Pona, and it has been here long enough that you would think that
the copyright argument would have been raised before.  There is no need
to act hurriedly on a mere suspicion.  If a copyright owner feels that
his rights are violated he can request that it can be taken down, and
there will be ample opportunity to act on that request.  There is a
legal requirement to act on clear violations when they become known.
Beyond that, one of the requirements for take down notices is that the
person making the request have some kind of standing for making that
request.  This is a protection from being flooded by requests from
do-gooders who have no knowledge of the facts and don't know what they
are doing.

Ec