[Wikipedia-l] Starting a new wiki

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Tue Sep 21 07:58:32 UTC 2004

Hi,

Le Tuesday 21 September 2004 05:38, James R. Johnson a écrit :

> I looked, and the Afar, Armenian, Assamese, Aymara, Bashkir, Bengali,
> Bhojpuri, Bislama, Burmese, Dzongkha, Fijian, Georgian, Greenlandic,
> Gujarati, Kannada, Kashmiri, Kazakh, Khmer, Kyrgiz, Lao, Lojban, Quechua,
> Manx, Nepali, Oriya, Oromo, Panjabi, Pashtu, Rumansh, Sardinian, Setswana,
> Somali, Sindhi, Sotho, Tajik, Telugu, Tibetan, Tongan, Tsonga, Turkmen,
> Twi, Uighur, and Xhosa have 10 or fewer articles.  Are those who thought
> little of Gothic or Anglo-Saxon going to look again at those wikis?

It's surprising that Bengali Wikipedia didn't start yet. There are probably
more than 200 millions people speaking Bengali, although I don't how many
among these have Bengali as their monther tongue (190M according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_language, 207M according to other
sources). And Bengali people have also a strong reputation for cultural
awareness, and the Bengali language has a long tradition of poetry and
literature.

Each of Assamese, Burmese, Gujarati, Kannada, Khmer, Nepalese, Oriya, Panjabi,
Pashtu, Sindhi, and Telugu have more than 10 millions speakers. However most
of these speakers have a poor Internet connectivity at the best. So it just a
matter of time when Internet connections become easily available in these
parts of the world.

> Just a thought.
>
> James

Regards,