[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikispecies

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Wed Sep 15 15:51:04 UTC 2004

On 15 Sep 2004, at 15:36, wikipedia-l-request at Wikimedia.org wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:49:20 +0200
> From: Mirko Thiessen <wikipedia at mirko-thiessen.de>
>
> Jens Ropers wrote:
>
>> I have NO opinion on the matter, but PURELY as a ''suggestion'': If
>> Wikispecies was implemented as a portal, after the example of the
>> German
>> Wikipedia (eg. cf. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Medizin) --
>> with
>> all the individual articles inside the WP, maybe named
>> [[Species:Whatever]] -- would that be a compromise that people might
>> be
>> more happy to accept?
>

> This project is about indexing 1 or 2 million species - in addition
> Wikispecies was intended to be a language-independent project, so in
> which
> Wikipedia would you want to have it? And who would want to have 2
> Million
> database entries scattered over Wikipedia?

Good points.
I was on the fence but your points have just convinced me that
Wikispecies as currently implemented is the way to go.
I would still encourage making cross-linking between Wikispecies and
the various Wikipedias as widespread and as easy as possible, but
frankly I think you're right.

> However, I start to think that this Wikispecies project is not worth
> the
> trouble. If people feel that they must leave Wikipedia just because
> this
> project is started then I tend to say forget it.
>

> Mirko

Please stay and bear with us.
Noise and discontent is all part of the democratic process.

-- Jens