[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikispecies

Mirko Thiessen wikipedia at mirko-thiessen.de
Wed Sep 15 12:49:20 UTC 2004

Jens Ropers wrote:

> I have NO opinion on the matter, but PURELY as a ''suggestion'': If
> Wikispecies was implemented as a portal, after the example of the German
> Wikipedia (eg. cf. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal_Medizin) -- with
> all the individual articles inside the WP, maybe named
> [[Species:Whatever]] -- would that be a compromise that people might be
> more happy to accept?

This project is about indexing 1 or 2 million species - in addition
Wikispecies was intended to be a language-independent project, so in which
Wikipedia would you want to have it? And who would want to have 2 Million
database entries scattered over Wikipedia?

However, I start to think that this Wikispecies project is not worth the
trouble. If people feel that they must leave Wikipedia just because this
project is started then I tend to say forget it.

Mirko