[Wikipedia-l] Re: wikispecies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 15 08:33:41 UTC 2004

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Well, I can remember that I have tried my darndest to get the
> en:wikipedia resource "Three of Life" to consider working towards a
> unified Taxobox that is acceptable to *all* Wikipedia. I was basically
> ignored with the argument, "see our arguments in the archives it was a
> hard slug to get this far we do not want any more of this". I have
> presented arguments about things that were wrong for
> internationalisation eg [[Animal]]ia in stead of [[Animalia]], I
> stated that the mentioning of "Bionominal name" does not add anything
> as it is inherent in "Scientific classification". The only result was
> "we have voted on this, this is our consensus".
>
> One other function I expect Wikispecies will bring is opening up this
> data for all who want it. By publishing content and changes in a
> format like XML, people and organisations can benefit from the work
> done on Wikispecies. I also expect Wikispecies to be open to changes
> from trusted institutions. So when an institution like IPNI for
> instance publishes a researched update on specific content we apply
> this change and we will attribute this change to IPNI.

Changes from trusted institutions would be acceptable as long as they
understand that their comments can be openly edited.  I am prepared to
sympathise with your experience with Mav over the taxoboxes, and would
hope that your experience will lead you to be open to comparable
suggestion when Wikispecies is fully functioning.

Ec