[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Chinese Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Sep 10 19:22:01 UTC 2004

Yann Forget wrote:

>Which French dialects are talking about?
>There are regional languages in France, the main ones being Breton, Basque and
>Occitan (spelling?), but I don't think there are "French" dialects. You
>should also note that Basque and Breton are very different from French.
>Occitan is a roman language, but any French speaker may not understand it
>better than, say, Italian or Catalan.

I had in mind Walloon, which is either a separate language or a dialect
of French, depending on who you ask (it's certainly a langue d'oïl in
any case), and is currently a separate Wikipedia, wa:.  I suppose
whether Walloon and French differ more or less than the various Chinese
dialects is a matter of debate.

-Mark