[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 18:29:52 UTC 2004

Also, Evan, I would like you to take a little field trip.

ka.wikipedia has an interface fully in Georgian, a mainpage fully in
Georgian, etc. Two weeks ago, everything was in English with the
exception of a little bit of content on the mainpage.

scn.wikipedia has an interface fully in Sicilian, a rapidly growing
body of all-Sicilian content, and it exists because I requested it
(But it's successful because of the hard work of editors).

Now, check the Limburgish Wikipedia. Recently condemned to proposed
locking, it spontaneously picked up some activity and now there is
hope for its future.

See, this is the reason why Wikipedia has such a long list of
Wikipedias with user bases and content, but Wikitravel has 5. If we
adopt your Draconian policies for Wikipedia, such growth as that on
ka.wikipedia, scn.wikipedia, and li.wikipedia will be much wider
apart. Had we adopted them at the beginning, such major Wikipedias as
the Japanese, German, Welsh, and other Wikipedias would be a
significant bit behind where they are today.

Mark