[Wikipedia-l] Re: Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 06:01:39 UTC 2004

"You've repeatedly pointed out that you don't want to spend the time,
money, or effort to create and maintain wikis without any active
participants, yet you insist that the Wikimedia Foundation does so. You
haven't really made a case for why, except that these languages exist
and have speakers. I don't think anyone debates those points; I also
don't think that "a language exists" has "there should be a Wikimedia
wiki for it" as a necessary consequent."

How much money does it cost to create a new Wiki? Technical efforts
aside (and Tim Starling seems entirely willing to give technical
assistance to Wikipedias for living natural languages), there is very
little wrong.

You are exaggerating this very much, and perhaps you should also check
http://bloglines.com/public/inactivewikipedias . Your allegations that
I don't want to spend the time on these things are pure crap because I
already spend time on them - for the last few days I have closely been
monitoring the activity on every single one of these Wikipedias, and I
don't mind it one bit.

If somebody does something bad, I can revert it; if it becomes a
problem I can't handle, I can bring it up with a developer or steward
or whomever it would be appropriate to bring it up with.

As to being upset that nobody cares about your language, from what I
have learned the usual reaction is quite the opposite - in the time I
have been monitoring inactive Wikipedias, I have seen ne.wikipedia
become active, in a good way, and although I am not sure it is
permanent, I think it's good. Also, take for example ka.wikipedia. The
sysops there now, Malafaya and Sopho, found it through a search engine
and when they saw it had 0 content, they decided to remedy that.

And what on earth are you talking about, a "scholarly resource"? When
did I argue that inactive Wikipedias were scholarly resources? The
only time I ever brought up anything of the sort was in regards to the
Gothic Wikipedia (it looks dismal now, but I have after-holidays
commitments from a few people), in which case I did not say "Oh golly
gee, I know this Wikipedia will have two articles and 0 users, but
somehow I think it'd be a scholarly resource anyways", what I said was
basically that, if it accumulated a large number of articles, it would
be a scholarly resource of sorts because it would be such a large
corpus. Note the "large corpus" and "large number of articles".

I think that your views are extremely Draconian and such extreme
measures are not needed at this point, the benifits are not outweighed
by the risks with the current solution.

I think that - and I am serious here - you have a real problem with
minority languages.

Mark