[Wikipedia-l] Broken mathematical representation at [[Knuth's up-arrow notation]]

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:35:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:10:42 +0100, Gerrit <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote:
> Some of the mathematical representation on [[Knuth's up-arrow notation]]
> is broken. There is too much whitespace.

Right, I've fixed most of the formulae to make proper use of \matrix
as a table, rather than just using whitespace to line things up on
each row. Hopefully, this will look good more reliably.

The only one I couldn't make work was the 3-row one just after the
text "...an n-arrow operator expands into a series of (n − 1)-arrow
operators. Symbolically..." (which doesn't look dodgy, but is just 3
rows full of whitespace). I can't find a way (if there is one) of
spanning multiple columns inside a \matrix{}, or of making the
underbrace extend across text in different "table cells". Still, I
guess if it looks OK for now, it will stay looking OK unless someone
edits it...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]