[Wikipedia-l] Broken mathematical representation at [[Knuth's up-arrow notation]]

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Nov 23 12:28:30 UTC 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 4:10 AM, Gerrit wrote:
> Some of the mathematical representation on [[Knuth's up-arrow
> notation]]
> is broken. There is too much whitespace. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/math/a62fcfaa06f5fa6052ab4b8bf292f7fd.png
>
> I don't know what causes this, but it doesn't look nice.

Have you tried removing some of the quad-spaces? The terms are arranged
like this (pardon my ASCII art):

             XYZ
       ______ABC_bizbax

where the _ here represents literal spaces in. Presumably this is meant
to align things just so, but it creates, well, a bunch of whitespace.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)