[Wikipedia-l] Re: no:/nb:/nn:/etc. - modified suggestion

Lars Alvik larsal at stud.ntnu.no
Mon Nov 15 19:30:45 UTC 2004

På 15. nov. 2004 kl. 19.50 skrev Angela:

>>> http://nb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg
>>> Yes, this does take you to the Norsk (bokmål) article Norge, where
>>> you can
>>> then click on the interwiki link to Nynorsk (soon probably to be
>>> renamed
>>> Norsk (nynorsk)) to be taken to the Nynorsk article Noreg. I think
>>> this is
>>> a relatively minor problem that is outweighed by the general
>>> advantages of
>>> the drafted solution.
>
> If no: were moved to nb:, I think it would be best for
> http://nb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg to redirect to
> http://nb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norge
> since it's an nb URL, so people will expect Bokmål.

I think so too.

> However,
> http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg would make more sense directing to
> http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg
> since if people are looking for Noreg rather than Norge, they're more
> likely expecting an article in Nynorsk than Bokmål.
>
> It may be possible to start with moving no: to nb: and having all
> current pages redirect from no: to nb: to prevent breaking any
> external links to no:, but to leave no: editable so that people can
> make decisions about whether the no->nb redirect would be better
> replaced with a no: -> nn redirect. In cases where there was no
> consensus over where the redirect should go, a disambiguation page
> could be made. A policy could be created that says the only edits on
> no: must be redirects or disambiguation page to prevent any new
> articles being created there.

I don't know, the disambiguation thing sounds more or less like
complicated to maintain, in my opinion. Why not go for the serverside
redirect and let it be that way, like Utne suggested. But the nynorsk
redirects is totally ok. I think that "common" names should be
redirected stright to bokmål, since that is the most used language.

>> It sounds to me
>> like some of the people here are taking it for granted that the
>> bokmål community
>> will always stay bigger than the nynorsk community, "so why not just
>> resign and
>> give the bokmål camp exclusive rights to the common language code"?

Hr. Lunde: It's two bloody letters god damn it. You have got your move
now you start asking for more?

Yes i'm probably alittle bit aggresive there, but hey, when you have
put down so much work in something and someone suggest to do the polite
version of killing it i tend to get a little bit upset.

> At the moment, nb is bigger than nn, so it makes sense for no: to
> redirect to nb, but if we leave open the possibility of creating
> manual redirects or disambiguation pages at no, this could change over
> time.

Considering the size of the bokmål userbase compaired to the nynorsk
one i belive it'll stay this way for long, but hey, it's nothing wrong
with a little competition.

mvh.