[Wikipedia-l] no:/nb:/nn:/etc. - modified suggestion

Olve Utne utne at nvg.org
Mon Nov 15 04:53:56 UTC 2004

Hello Mark,

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:10:12 -0700, Mark Williamson wrote:
>What would http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg redirect to? It would be
>strange for somebody to end up at the nonexistant article :nb:Noreg, or be
>re-directed to :nb:Norge only to have to click on the Nynorsk interwiki
>link to get to where they wanted to be originally.

Try this:

http://nb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreg

Yes, this does take you to the Norsk (bokmål) article Norge, where you can
then click on the interwiki link to Nynorsk (soon probably to be renamed
Norsk (nynorsk)) to be taken to the Nynorsk article Noreg. I think this is
a relatively minor problem that is outweighed by the general advantages of
the drafted solution. There is an alternative solution though:

>Thus I propose there be an additional provision of some sort so that when
>article titles are different between nn: and nb: (they aren't always
>different), the Nynorsk name on no: redirects to a Nynorsk article rather
>than a Bokmål article.

That can be done quite easily in specific cases by creating a
disambiguation page on nb: -- in this particular case it would contain
links to :nb:Norge and :nn:Noreg

>In addition, I think one extremely important thing regarding promotion of
>other Scandinavian Wikipedias is this:
>
>While the Sami language(s) may not be related to sv:/da:/nn:/nb:/, since
>they are a national minority in all of these countries (excepting
>Denmark), there should be prominently placed invitations in Sami, if
>possible (otherwise in the language of the Wikipedia they're on), to come
>contribute to the Sami Wikipedias if you can.

For the inclusion of Sámi and other minority languages, please see the
"recent changes" page on nn: and no:/nb: for an example of how this issue
is already being handled:

http://nn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spesial:Recentchanges

Note how the languages are listed in the links near the top of the page:
1) Scandinavian languages (minus nn): no: - sv: - da:, and also the
languages Faeroese and Icelandic
2) Local Finno-Ugrian languages of Finnish and Northern Sami;
3) Languages of national minorities: Greenlandic, Hebrew & Yiddish.
4) Common immigrant languages in Norway: Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Farsi,
Kurdish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu & Vietnamese.
5) Major languages like English, French, German, Russian & Spanish;
6) Commons and Meta projects.

On the Nynorsk main page, there are currently three links to Northern Sami:
Near the top of the interwiki list; in its alphabetical place in the
interwiki list; as one of the specially listed local languages in the
section "Wikipedia i Skandinavia / Norden og nærområda".

Further actions, like having an "ad" for the Northern Sami Wikipedia on the
main page of nn:, have not been implemented yet, but I will tend to this soon.

>Just to make things more complicated (and forseeing a possible future
>issue)... currently, TTBOMK, we only have http://se.wikipedia.org/ for
>Sami (more specifically N. Sami). Should we create additional Wikipedias
>for the other Sami languages/dialects/whatever? If so, perhaps we should
>have a notice on the Norwegian, Swedish, and Finnish Wikipedias (don't
>forget, Finland has Sami people too!) in some sort of "unified Sami"
>(which everybody can understand, even if it's not a standard in everyday
>use) inviting people to contribute to the appropriate Sami Wikipedia.

For Norway, Lule Sami and Southern Sami wikipedias would probably be useful
-- and possibly also Skolte Sami and Enare Sami. In my opinion, the Lule
Sami and Southern Sami languages should be offered the possibility of
creating wikipedias.

Two other national minorities in Norway and Sweden are the Romani people
(Tatrar, Tatere, Tattare) and the Roma (Sigøynarar, Sigøynere, Zigenare,
"Gypsies"). I suspect that the interest for wikipedia work may be
relatively low in these groups, but it might still be worth checking out.

All the best,

-Olve