[Wikipedia-l] Re: An honorable compromise and no: or nb: for Bokm? l?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:29:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:27:59 +0100, Lars Alvik <larsal at stud.ntnu.no> wrote:

> The idea nowadays is to change the interwikicoding and provide a list
> of reasons why bokmål is no: (like Utne suggested). This would create a
> bokmål/riksmål wiki on no: and formalize the language situation. And
> yes, i see this as an permanent solution.

In other words, you propose to disregard the objection of the Nynorsk
community, and want to collect arguments to do so.

> I recon there are probably no more than 300 nynorsk arcticles on no:.
> These and new nynorsk articles on no: will not get deleted but will not
> get "protected" against translation either.
> We don't want no trouble with the nynorskpeople (eventhough we are
> indeed very tired of the debate in general).
> Just moving no: to nb: creates a lot of problem and establish an own
> nb: wiki idependantly of no: would kill the community and confuze new
> users (i for one don't think it's fun to move around 11 500 articles).

I don't see any problems that would be caused by my proposal, and I
think the same holds for some other proposals. Moving the 11.5000
articles would happen "behind the screens" and not be noticeable
except that you and up at nb.wikipedia.org next time you go to no:.
Only those 300 Nynorsk articles would need to be 'moved around' - in
this case meaning they have to be moved to nn.wikipedia.org.

Still, I feel that the discussion is starting to lose its value. It is
time to get to a solution, or at least to appoint people to decide on
the solution. Could someone step in in name of the foundation, and
decide on a decision process? If we don't have that, there's three
outcomes I find (in order of likelihood):

* This discussion ends, not because a solution has been found that
satisfies all or most of those involved, but because people grow tired
of it.
* The discussion goes on and on for months without any hope of resolution.
* Someone starts implementing their own solution singlehandedly,
starting an edit war of unprecedented proportions.

Andre Engels

Andre Engels