[Wikipedia-l] Video uploaded...

Robert Graham Merkel robert.merkel at benambra.org
Thu Nov 11 05:04:44 UTC 2004

In the grand tradition of actually getting things done on Wikipedia,
Wikipedian KSheka, with some assistance from myself to convert the video
to Theora, has gone ahead and uploaded a video of an "echocardiograph
demonstrating systolic anterior motion of the anterior leaflet of the
mitral value", which, translated, I think means "a video of a beating
heart with a valve that's moving wrongly"

You can see the article with the uploaded video at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertrophic_cardiomyopathy

Now we actually *have* a video in a patent-unencumbered codec uploaded
to Wikipedia, and the ability to make more of them (transcoding to Theora
is pretty straightforward once you've got ffmpeg2theora installed), the
discussion about video I posted at http://meta.wikimedia.org/Video_policy
becomes a little more directly relevant...

>From my point of view, I'd be very interested in people's thoughts on
what we should do to make best use of video (one thing that comes to
mind is that we should always take a still from the video as
illustration, but more thoughts are good)...

Oh, and has there been any progress on implementing code for an approval
process?

                                           Robert Merkel
                                     robert.merkel at benambra.org
                                        http://benambra.org

"And James Hird has just gone after Robert Harvey...that's like Bambi
attacking Bambi"
 -- Gerard Whately, Essendon vs. St Kilda, 3/4/2004