[Wikipedia-l] Galleries on Wikipedia vs. galleries on Wikimedia Commons

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Nov 10 04:31:42 UTC 2004

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Now that the Wikimedia Commons is being widely used as a central image
>archive - if you haven't already, check out http://commons.wikimedia.org/
>- we are facing the question again whether we want to store image
>galleries in Wikipedia.

I think it's worth suggesting that people take a look, but the
commons is not really ready for primetime; while there's been a
lot of energetic image dumping, not so much effort has gone into
organization or cross-reference support. My experience so far has
been to be confronted with piles of random uploads of monster
pictures, sort of like some horrible museum where if you express
interest in something, the docent grabs you and shoves you up
against the painting, and you have to walk back and forth with
your nose to the wall in order to view it. :-)

It also seems that there is not a consensus as to whether the
commons is a bare repository for editors to draw upon, versus
something that you want to send readers to. It would be unfortunate
to move a gallery there and then have somebody delete it because
"that's not what the commons is for."

Stan