AW: [Wikipedia-l] Locking small wikis

Gerard Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 6 15:30:10 UTC 2004

André Müller wrote:

>Hope this doesn't seem like a dumb question... Does locking the small
>Wikis mean that no one can access them at all until there is a request
>in reopening it again? Or is it just that no one will be able to edit or
>create entries anymore? OR is it that *only* logged in users are able to
>edit/create the articles in it?
>
>The latter seems like a good solution to me, if this is possible.
>
>- André

Locking a wiki means that it is write protected; the point here is that
it is NOT to be a target for vandals and squatters. Squatters and
vandals can log on as users too, so when a wiki is locked, it is write
protected otherwise it does serve no purpose.

I am in favour of having a policy that is objective and measurable;
sysops/moderators are the front line against vandals and squatters.
Therefore I would have a project locked automatically when no sysop has
signed on for 14 days. I would leave a project on-line for 6 months so
that any active user can ask for it to be unlocked when he/she is
willing to take on the role of sysop for the project. When a project has
no edits for a period of 6 months I would also lock the project.
Inactive projects and projects saved of line are to be listed on Meta so
that when someone wants to revive a project the data is known to be
available.

There is a need for doing this. At least three projects have been used
contrary to its assigned purpose.

Thanks,
    GerardM