[Wikipedia-l] Request for new Wikipedia: Friulian

Arwel Parry arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 23:01:41 UTC 2004

In message <4187F785.4090905 at hackish.org>, Delirium
<delirium at hackish.org> writes
>Mark Williamson wrote:
>
>>If you think I go around selecting random languages to request new
>>Wikipedias for, then you are very very very wrong. Before I do
>>anything like that, I make sure there is at least one potential
>>contributor, and preferrably more or some community involvement.
>>
>There does seem to be an odd mismatch in that you have no personally
>ability to speak these languages.  I'd wager that were these requests
>coming from people who *actually speak the languages*, they would be
>taken more seriously.  When that has happened, as with Welsh, there
>were no arguments over creating the Wikipedia for that language.

Actually, I don't know the history of the Welsh Wikipedia -- it appears
to have been set up with the phase 2 software, a few not very good
articles which mostly resembled a sandbox were created, and then
abandoned. It was converted to Phase 3 fairly early on, at which point I
discovered it. As no-one seemed to be using it, I asked for admin status
and set about creating some articles and creating LanguageCy.php (no
small task when the language is somewhat lacking in computing terms and
you're checking most of the words against two dictionaries!). Pretty
soon [[cy:Defnyddwr:Deb]] arrived and things took off, to the point
where we now have a nice little encyclopaedia with around half a dozen
regular contributors and about 2700 articles.

--
Arwel Parry
http://www.cartref.demon.co.uk/