[Wikipedia-l] PGP signing for "official" mail

Robert Graham Merkel robert.merkel at benambra.org
Fri May 14 04:19:24 UTC 2004

Perhaps this is just from hanging around on the Debian project, but for
"official" notices, I got used to the standard practice of them being
cryptographically signed using gnupg (http://www.gnupg.org).

Cryptographic signing serves two purposes: so that it was possible to
verify that they were:

a) from who they claimed to be from
b) that they had approved the message.

Would it be feasible for Wikimedia to adopt the same process?

                                           Robert Merkel
                                     robert.merkel at benambra.org
                                        http://benambra.org

Eve Kendall (Eva Marie Saint):He followed me here from the hotel.
Leonard (Martin Landau): He was in your room?
Roger Thornhill (Carey Grant): Sure.  Isn't everybody?
  -- "North By Northwest