[Wikipedia-l] Re: Goings-on

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sat Mar 27 00:06:59 UTC 2004

Anthere Anthere wrote:

> I know not who had the idea of goings-on, but I think
> that is a *brillant* idea.
>
> Announcements are far too formal. Pumps are totally
> clogged. Goings-on is a great way to have information
> made quickly available.
[cut]

If this is only about "goings-on" for one, local Wikipedia, this can
work. But not a global wikipedia "going-on".

To make this work you need a highly developed respected procedural
structure for spreading information across all Wikipedias and languages.
And time also for the migration of the information and feedback. There
is no hope for this in the current organisation structure.

It may be possible for creating an internal monthly Wikimedia
newsletter. For reporting the news of changes to the software,
organisation or whatever news that can be nice to know for all users of
the WikiMedia projects. Possible, not easy.

Walter