[Wikipedia-l] Goings-on

Anthere Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 20:21:46 UTC 2004

I know not who had the idea of goings-on, but I think
that is a *brillant* idea.

Announcements are far too formal. Pumps are totally
clogged. Goings-on is a great way to have information
made quickly available.

I made one quick goings-on fr a few days ago, in the
hope it would relieve our pump. Our pump is so bad,
that some people think we should double it with a
board. That is a very bad suggestion. You do not make
information flow by adding a parallel tube, you make
if flow by redirecting the good information to the
good people. So the solution is not two pumps, but
better structure of the current information network.

Today, I realise that the goings-on could be one of
this great solution for easy communication between
wikipedias. And especially for wikipedias to know what
is going on in the wikimedia community (as all these
votes on meta, by laws topic, changes in software).

That is the ring we have been looking for for some
time now ! :-)

Each of these goings-on should have one version on
each wikipedia, and one central one on meta. In small
wikipedias, perhaps there should be a link to the meta
one for a while (as long as the community is not big
enough to assume updates).

Each should have local community stuff, and wikipedia
wide stuff. With the archives, that is the best way we
can keep track of information, and make it flows in
many directions.

I would dare to suggest that on each pedia, the issues
that are wikipedia-wide are visibly separated from
issues wikipedia-local, so update from one ring to the
other is much easier.

It could be typically the job of an ambassador to
update the local or the meta goings-on.

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goings-on

What do you think ?