[Wikipedia-l] Re: foundation of a German registered association

Nils Kehrein fab at affenkrieger.de
Thu Jan 22 23:01:13 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I'm afraid that I don't really understand what you're saying.  You
> seem to be saying two exactly opposite things.  On the one hand, you
> say that we can't have a Foundation in Europe because if we do, it
> would be legally liable (for takedown notices and the like).  On the
> other hand, you say that we need to have a Foundation in Europe so
> that it can take on that sort of legal liabilities.

Hm, i think Ulrich tried to say that if someone tries to sue the
(german) Wikipedia because of e.g. copyright infringements, they would
sue individuals at this point. Very likely that they will try to sue
Wikipedia "sysops" like Kurt. So it is /our/ intention to found that
"Verein" to withdraw their attention from individuals and that this
"Verein" will (hopefully) be their first contact. But because there's
no real connection (in law?) between the german "Verein" and the american
Wikimedia Foundation they hopefully will not succeed.

It's just about protecting individual Wikipedians and having a
contact address more reliable than a simple email link.

Sorry for any confusion i should cause with this posting ;-)

Regards,
Nils.

--
Veteran of the Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force 1990-1951.