[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Thu Jan 22 23:17:37 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>But I will not support a foundation using the Wikimedia name that
>might *or might not* send money to the international organization, and
>that might serve as a way for some people (not you, I am speaking 30
>years in the future) to split the project or use it to make a
>lucrative income for themselves without regard to the overall goals of
>the international community.

Trademark diluation might be relevant here as well: if the Wikimedia
Foundation owns the Wikimedia and Wikipedia trademarks in the US and EU
(as I assume it will in the future), then we can't really allow another
organization that is legally unrelated to the Foundation to call itself
by those trademarks.  I think?

-Mark