[Wikipedia-l] Re: Stop for a moment, please

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jan 26 17:05:27 UTC 2004

Michael Snow wrote:
> Currently, Wikimedia (the umbrella for the Wikipedia and other projects)
> is organized based on consensus, if you ignore the largely unused
> dictatorial powers. Consensus is not the same thing as democracy.

Well, to be perfectly clear, the foundation itself is not organized
based on consensus.  It's organized based on me spending tons of money
for several years to make this all happen, and my effort to carefully
set this up as a public charity, and dictating how that's to be done
by selecting board members and a process for member representation.

The projects of the foundation *are* based on consensus, of course,
and I see no reason for us to contemplate any change to that.

--Jimbo