[Wikipedia-l] bylaws part II

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Sat Jan 24 19:37:42 UTC 2004

Alex T. wrote:
> That process would seem to indicate that you could require the
> application to be verified by a notary, thus ensuring that it is
> from a distinct individual.  That is usually what NPO membership
> coordinators due is verify membership status, so it is not
> outrageous to ask someone to fill out a form, get it notarized and
> mail it to someone to be entitled to vote.

It doesn't seem outrageous, no, but it does seem a bit of overkill
esp. for the first year's elections.  I would say that a bit of
commonsense on my part will go a long way towards eliminating or at
least minimizing any problems.

> Giving every user account the right to vote is obviously not an
> option if you are looking for some kind of legitimacy because one
> person could open hudreds or thousands of user accounts and capture
> the voting process that way.

I agree with that 100%.

It doesn't seem too terribly difficult, though, for the Foundation to
keep the identities of members reasonably private, though.

On Monday I will write up and post a proposed procedure for the
voting, to be critiqued well-and-good I'm sure.

--Jimbo