[Wikipedia-l] German Wikipedia Inavailability/Hardware Status

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Jan 22 19:36:41 UTC 2004

Peter Gervai wrote:
> > 2.  In various configurations consistent with the correct placement of
> > memory, Geoffrin gives sporadic errors in test #11.  These are listed
> > as "ECC" errors, which Jason believes may mean that these are o.k.,
> > i.e.  errors that were caught and fixed by the ECC stuff in the RAM.
> > Or, it may mean something else.  He was researching that yesterday
> > afternoon.
>
> I would use these only if they're out of the guarantee period. Any errors
> mean it's not perfect, and you should change them if they're still covered
> by the seller. (Well, at least we do that in good old Europe, but maybe
> industry of the USA is not that advanced ;->.)

They are covered by warranty, and so our current plan is to return the
entire machine to Penguin with the insistence that they get it 100%
right before they return it to us.  But this will have to wait for
another week or so, i.e. until our new datacenter is up and running
so that Geoffrin is not needed.

--Jimbo