[Wikipedia-l] foundation of a German registered association

Arne Klempert (akl) wikipedia at klempert.de
Thu Jan 22 12:42:16 UTC 2004

On Thursday, January 22, 2004 12:40 PM
Peter Gervai <grin at tolna.net> wrote:

>> The German Wikipedia community is working on setting up an
>> "eingetragener Verein" (I found these translations on dict.leo.org:
> [...]
>
>> Jimbo, is this okay for you? Do you have any wishes or worries?
>> The association will support all Wikimedia projects, not just
>> Wikipedia. We will support the whole international project, and
>> transfer part of the donations to the foundation if this is legaly
>> possible, but focus on the German-speaking projects. Of course we're
>> not planning a fork, and of course there is no cabal, at least not a
>> German one.
>
> How this association going to be related to wikimedia foundation and
> its projects? Is wikimedia going to be sued based on german laws from
> then on? Is your association going to be sued based on the content
> of any wikimedia project, or the content of the german wikipedia?

Wikimedia Germany calls itself a "sister organization" of Wikimedia
Foundation. IMHO that doesn't mean a legal relation, so WM Germany is
not responsible for things done by the WM Foundation and vice versa.

It's quite the same wording as in the by-laws of FSF Europe referring to
the Free Software Foundation:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/about/legal/constitution.en.html

According to this there is also no legal relation between WM Germany and
the projects of the Foundation (including the German-speaking
Wikipedia).

Arne
[[de:Benutzer:Akl]]