[Wikipedia-l] the tool bar : disable it in some browsers (or fix

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jan 21 21:12:42 UTC 2004

Dan, we know you don't like it.

I'd appreciate some clear feedback from _other_ users on the _current_
_actual_ behavior of the code, however.

Mostly what I've seen is complaints about the broken behavior in Mozilla
and the old 'paste sample text at the end' in various other browsers.
Those are definately unacceptable, and Erik's been working with us to
make sure that the best experience will be available before this ever
goes online on Wikipedia.

huge improvements have been made so far:

* On browsers with no javascript available, a dead useless toolbar is
_not_ shown

* On browsers that don't support adding formatting to the selected text,
sample code is no longer added willy-nilly to the end of the text.

* The Mozilla "scrolls to top of text area" bug has been reported to
the Mozilla dev team, and as a workaround we'll do what we can to avoid
triggering the bug (for instance using the version of the code for
browsers that don't support formatting the selected text at all).

Erik's not forcing evil buggy code upon the populace, here. We're all
working to make the best, most functional, most user-friendly code we can
get. Let's please not fight over something that's not happening.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)