[Wikipedia-l] the tool bar : disable it in some browsers (or fix

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 20:52:12 UTC 2004

Erik wrote:
>All I see is a row of buttons and a line under it that says "Click a
>button to see an example for this formatting" - that seems fairly
>obvious to me.

Of course it does. You wrote it.

>Let's judge this feature based on more feedback than just yours.

I'm *not* the only one who had a similar complaint.

>I think your arguments smack of techno-elitism, "I learned wiki markup
>the hard way, so everyone else has to as well!"

No - my arguments are from the perspective of a person who is using the
feature for the first time. Hardly techno-elitism.

A developer who engages in a CVS commit war in opposition to the consensus of
the other developers due to the fact that he wants to push through a largely
untested feature is techno-elitism.

A developer who does not listen to users is techno-elitism.

A developer who thinks that his feature is fine, but it is the users who are
are wrong is techno-elitism.

>I would have loved to have even such a simple help toolbar when I
>started using Wikipedia. Yes, wiki markup is simple, but it's good to
>have learning aids.

Not when that aid looks like something else and causes confusion.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)