[Wikipedia-l] the tool bar : disable it in some browsers (or fix

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 08:44:23 UTC 2004

Erik wrote:
>I'd be more interested in hearing ways to make it more intuitive
>than "turn it off for these browsers".

The 2) toobar is fatally flawed; as I said before it is a word processor-like
toolbar that doesn't do what such a toolbar is expected to do. A static HTML
table outside the wiki text area of an edit window with just the basics:

Bold		''' ''''
Italics 	'' ''
Heading	== ==

Would be far better than the 2) toolbar.

I see no need to confuse newbies of non-mainstream browsers when there is an
already existing link to editing help on every page.

>I suspect that your reaction is more the result of already knowing
>that the selection+click feature works in some browsers, so I'd like
>to see some broader  usability results (i.e. having it on by default
>with the current setup for a couple of weeks) before I draw any
>conclusions.

I got that expectation from the bar itself.

Still plenty more I've already wrote on this here:

http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2004-January/013838.html

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)