Announcement Policies (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] New edit modus)

Ulrich Fuchs mail at ulrich-fuchs.de
Mon Jan 19 09:49:48 UTC 2004

>(he announced the new feature and asked
>people to test it on the test wiki before it went live - wow, what a crime!).

For me, he didn't announce it. The first notice I got from that new feature
was from the posting here on the list. Then I was looking through the
wikitech list, and found Eriks announcement there. But: That's the technical
list, I don't read it normally. However, since we're talking about editing
here, I'm interested in that information.

That brings me to this posting: Obviously, I don't notice if something of
importance is going on. But that's not my fault, I just can't collect the
information because it's to scattered among various lists, mediawiki pages,
meta pages, IRC chats and so on. And I don't have time to read all of them.

So I'd like to suggest a general announcement policy:

Everything that is of some importance to the Wikipedia community - like new
software features, changes in the hardware status, disabling of features and
so on, scheduled server downtimes - should be announced on THIS list (since
the official announcement list is not used any more). Always. Please. I - and
probably also most others - cannot be everywhere, but still like to know
what's going on. In each announcement, a hint should be given where the
respective discussion takes place, so that this discussion doesn't increase
the traffic here.

Uli