[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia funds

Peter Bartlett pcb21 at btconnect.com
Fri Jan 16 11:36:13 UTC 2004

Mav wrote:
>Magnus wrote:
>>That's really one hard choice to make! ;-)

>Actually any economic relationship with Amazon is going to be a
politically
>sensitive topic around here. This is due to the large number of people
who
>have an almost irrational hatred of Amazon because of their business
>practices. I for one don't care, and in fact use Amazon often, but we
have to
>ask ourselves:
>
>Is the money we would get worth being viewed as selling our soul to
devil by a
>not-insignificant number of our contributors and many in the free
software
>community?
>
>I personally don't think the amount of money generated would be worth
the
>grief. But that is just me.
>
>-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

That is a fair point but surely the current situation (linking to Amazon
but not referrer-linking) isn't great for either side of the divide. (Is
referrer-linking a dramtically more "economic relationship" than the
free advertising we do for them already?)

Maybe the ISBN page could be re-worded to include make the amazon link a
referrer link but also include a notice that this is a referrer link and
a link to , e.g., [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia's use of referrer links#Why link
to Amazon]] which spells out why someone might prefer NOT to click that
page, but to go to another bookseller instead.

Pete