[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia is too much open

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jan 14 09:53:58 UTC 2004

Pablo De Nápoli wrote in part:

>It seems to me that the model of  wikipedia is too much open, so that open
>that anyone can annonymously edit any page. That I think is to much.that at
>least one should have to register and log in in order to modify a page, one
>has to take a responsability for what is saying (specially for deleting some
>one else work). In the current model, we don't know who write what
>(even though, most civilizated wiikipedians do log in, but I think this should
>be mandatory)

Well, the short response is:
Get to know Wikipedia, and then say if you still believe this.
I suspect that some experienced Wikipedians /do/ think this way,
albeit probably not as strongly as you do (although I would disagree).

However, if you're worrying that you might not want to work on Wikipedia,
then you will need a longer response.  There is a whole lot of this at
[[en:Wikipedia:Replies to common objections]] (that is shorthand for the URL
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Wikipedia:Replies to common objections>),
so I'll shut up since I can't say anything here that isn't said better there.
(And that's not very surprising, since that text was edited in the wiki way,
and has had far more input and refinement than this extemporaneous email! ^_^)

-- Toby