[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia is too much open

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Wed Jan 14 08:33:47 UTC 2004

Pablo De Nápoli wrote:

>I've contributed with some articles. I'm rather disapointed, though. For
>example, I've rewriten the article on Lebesgue integration in the English
>wikipedia, since I find that the article explained the tenichal difficulties
>of Riemman integral, but it does not define the notion of Lebesgue integral
>(perhaps I had to tell you that I'm a mathematician, I work at the mathematics
>department of Buenos Aires University, Argentina).
>
>After that, looking at the history of the page, I find that some rather old
>previous versions where much better, but they had been deleted since a
>user consider them "too advanced". Needless to say, Lebesgue integration is
>indeed an advanced topic in mathematics, so that any article on this subject
>is necesarilly advanced (or does not covered the topic).

I see your point there, but consider this: An encyclopedia should
explain what "Lebesgue integration" is and what it does, in a way that
an average reader can understand it. It would be no problem to add
mathematical details *after* such an introduction, but a degree in
mathematics should *not* be required to understand the introduction itself.

If you like to elaborate on mathematical topics in detail, wikibooks.org
might be a good place. I've written some biochemistry pages there myself.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Replies_to_common_objections

>Another idea that comes to my mind is that there could be some teams for
>especific topics, that  manage the pages in some section (say mathematics,
>geogrpahy,
>economics or whatever). This does not mean that any user from outside the team
>could not submit modifications. But without a team of core developers or
>a project leader for each section how can you assure a minimum of
>quality of wikipedia?
>(this is more or less the model in all free software projects, no project
>grants write access to cvs to everyone anonymously, say)

There are WikiProjects for starters, but if you want to recruit a "math
team", go ahead :-)
Also, we have (rather vague) plans for a "wikipedia 1.0", which will
contain only selected, proof-read article versions from wikipedia. This
will have to wait until the current server crisis is solved, though.

Magnus