[Wikipedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Donation History

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 01:06:00 UTC 2004

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>>However, some people have given either their name
>>and/or user name in the one of the two comment
>>fields ('Subject' and 'Note' columns). I think we
>>should contact those people to ask permission
>>for us to publish their comments.  For example,
>>the person who donated money for European domains
>>gave his user name in the 'Note' field.
>
>Why not just delete those fields entirely?  I don't
>see much purpose to publishing them, even where
>they are anonymous.

Because it gives our donors the opportunity to say
nice things about us or otherwise give some direction
on how they would like us to spend their donation. It
also gives them the opportunity to optionally let
everyone else know they donated by signing whatever
message they leave in a comment field (not to mention
it makes it easier to find their donation and confirm
that it was in fact received). Best to have that info
in the public, IMO.

> I'd say just a daily breakdown of donations received
> would be more than adequate to answer people's
> legitimate curiosity about how the fundraising
> went.  Even breaking it down to individual donation
> amounts seems a bit much to me, although I don't
> really see any harm in it either.

It would in fact be easier for me if the detail is
retained in some form. Then I can keep just one set of
books - the public one.

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)