[Wikipedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Donation History

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 22:26:36 UTC 2004

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> Daniel Mayer wrote:
> > However, some people have given either their name and/or user
> name
> > in the one of the two comment fields ('Subject' and 'Note'
> > columns). I think we should contact those people to ask
> permission
> > for us to publish their comments.  For example, the person who
> > donated money for European domains gave his user name in the
> 'Note'
> > field.
>
> Why not just delete those fields entirely?  I don't see much
> purpose
> to publishing them, even where they are anonymous.
>
> I'd say just a daily breakdown of donations received would be more
> than adequate to answer people's legitimate curiosity about how the
> fundraising went.  Even breaking it down to individual donation
> amounts seems a bit much to me, although I don't really see any
> harm
> in it either.

I personally see an advantage to showing each individual transaction
by day, so that if someone wanted to make sure that their $21.00
transaction on then 17th was counted and didn't "fall through the
cracks", they could verify it.

Also, it will also show the donation amounts, so that people who
would normally not consider donating because their donation might
seem to little might be encouraged to see donations of $1 or $2
(it only taked a few thousand of those to add up to some big money)

=====
Christopher Mahan
chris_mahan at yahoo.com
818.943.1850 cell