[Wikipedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Donation History

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 07:59:47 UTC 2004

Jimbo wrote on Wikitech-l:
>I'll try to put together a graph showing daily donations
>during the pledge drive.  That'll be later this week, though.

I already have the data (minus the name, account number, and email columns)
sorted and in OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet (one sheet per month with total
amounts donated in each currency). It would be easy to have a daily breakdown
for the fund drive period (although an hourly breakdown might be more
informative for the two biggest days).

However, some people have given either their name and/or user name in the one
of the two comment fields ('Subject' and 'Note' columns). I think we should
contact those people to ask permission for us to publish their comments.  For
example, the person who donated money for European domains gave his user name
in the 'Note' field.

Some thoughts:
In the future we can deal with this by stating up front that whatever people
write in comment fields will be made public by default but their name and
email address will not be made public unless they put that information in one
or the other comment fields. This will give donors the option of making their
identity public knowledge just by including their name/user name in one or
the other comment fields.

But I think most of the time people want their donation comments published -
It gives a nice personal touch to otherwise dry data. It would also make it
easier for people to see that their donation has been recorded.

Any thoughts?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)