[Wikipedia-l] Re: What would Richard Stallman say?

Claus Färber claus at xn--frber-gra.muc.de
Tue Feb 24 00:00:23 UTC 2004

Gareth Owen <wiki at gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> schrieb/wrote:
> "Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen" <daniel at copyleft.no> writes:
>> Fair use is illegal in many large countries outside the US.
> But the Wikipedia servers are not in any of those countries,
> and so this is completely irrelevant.

In many countries it is enough that Wikipedia is intentionally
accessible there to bring an action before local courts based on the
violation of local copyright.
It may or may not be possible to enforce such judgments within the US --
I don't think there are many precedents. It is certainly a bad idea to
rely on that.

Of course, this only applies to actions brought against the Wikimedia
Foundation and users within the US. Users of the Wikipedia outside of
the US (both authors and licencees are subject to non-US law anyway. The
latter is also true for mirrors.

Claus
--
http://www.faerber.muc.de