[Wikipedia-l] Re: I don't care what Richard Stallman would say

Bjorn Lindqvist bjrn.lindqvist at telia.com
Sun Feb 22 00:20:34 UTC 2004

Ok, I'll admit. I have no intentions whatsoever to make a fork at this
time. But what is to say that someone else wouldn't make a fork that
becomes a real competitor to Wikipedia?

It wouldn't be the first time disagreement over copyright has
splintered an "open source" project.

The English Wikipedia might sail safe because duplicating the
productivity and massive size of it is hard. But what about the
smaller languages? In a way that has already happened to the Swedish
Wikipedia. One of the reasons why susning.nu has more than double the
amount of articles that the Swedish WP has is because of their
different licensing.

I'd love to respect Wikipedia's rules. But right now, I don't think
anyone can claim that the rules aren't extremely diffuse. Does WP
allow fair use images? The answers: Yes, No, Maybe, Sometimes.

Maybe if Jimmy Wales does not want any non-GFDL compliant images it is
time for him to put his foot down?
Very hard.

BL