nonfree.wikipedia.org (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?)

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 14:38:22 UTC 2004

Brion-
> To summarize:
> * images which can only be justified as "fair use" (for some uses, in
> the US only) would not be uploaded to Wikipedia itself, embedded in
> Wikipedia articles,

That's unacceptable. The whole point of fair use images is to illustrate
articles. Links are not illustrations.

This issue has the potential to split the community and both sides would
do well to seek some middle ground. That middle ground has been clearly
defined. Use fair use when nothing else is available, clearly flag images.
I find it quite bizarre that the GNU advocates are acting in the same
bullyish members as the RIAA is about "copyright violations". There lies
no salvation in extremism.

Regards,

Erik