[Wikipedia-l] Re: Developers needed!

Pete/Pcb21 pete_pcb21_wpmail at pcbartlett.com
Mon Aug 23 21:56:06 UTC 2004

James R. Johnson wrote:
> For a wikispecies, I would expect to be able to click on the Kingdom
> (Animala), Phylum (Chordata), Subphylum (Vertebrata), and so on so I can
> narrow down progressively to homo sapiens, homo neanderthalensis, homo
> erectus, etc., and on the each further down level (i.e. Chordata, then
> Vertebrata), the most notable species would have higher links on that page.
> Is that what you mean by category?
>
> James

Start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Animalia and keep working
down the subcategories for examples.

A typical category chain goes:

(Fundamental -> Knowledge -> Science -> Natural sciences -> Biology ->
Life) -> Animalia -> Chordates -> Mammals -> Carnivora -> Canines ->
Dogs -> Dog breeds -> (185 articles about dog breeds)

My wikitime this week has been categorizing all mammals in a sensible
fashion. The chosen categories (typically at the KPCO and F levels) have
been extensively thought out at [[Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject Tree of
Life]] so comments are welcome there.

Pete/Pcb21