[Wikipedia-l] Developers needed!

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 19:42:27 UTC 2004

--- Benedikt Mandl <benedikt.mandl at gmx.at> wrote:

> I totally disagree; I am sure that a lot of information will be overlapping
> and therefore, the two projects should remain connected. Nevertheless, a
> species directory would serve a different purpose than the wikipedia as such
> and have a significantly different structure (as seen in the draft at my
> last e-mail) to allow highly specific search functions.

Use categories to create the directory. Done. All we need is something that all
projects should have anyway: an advanced search capability so that users can
search within any category or group of categories. This will be very useful for
*all* areas that Wikipedia covers.

> I already got a lot of supportive e-mails by a range of people - and that is
> eventually what counts for a wiki project, to my understanding. There is a
> need for an extensive species directory, and I will keep asking for support!

Your understanding is wrong since well-reasoned and strong opposition often
creates a situation where no consensus can be formed.

You are more than welcome to create Wikispecies anytime you wish. But don't
expect it to be a Wikimedia project without a great deal of justification that
1) It advances our goals
2) It does not harm existing projects
3) The idea cannot be incorporated into an existing project (sometimes some
technical issues need to be fixed to make that possible)

-- mav